As those of you who have been following my overactive Instagram account know, in June Charlie and I explored Peru. It was our first time in South America, and Peru has been on the top of Charles’s bucket list since before we were married. Honestly, almost every country is on the top of my bucket list, so I was pretty excited as well, and the trip was just as much of a dream as we had imagined. Excepting Charles’s brief bout with food poisoning and some mild altitude sickness symptoms, we couldn’t have asked for a better adventure vacation.
I’m dividing the trip up into several posts to highlight each region we explored, as well as some tips and tricks for planning a vacation to Peru as several of you have messaged me about what hotels we stayed at, what guides we used, how to arrange certain plans, the restaurants we went to, etc.
With the holidays quickly approaching, I’ve been spending a good deal of my free time shopping for friends and family, so I’ve got gift inspiration on the brain. And since my blog is all about some book-loving and wanderlusting, I realized that a gift guide combining these two interests was a natural fit. Here’s some holiday inspiration for any traveling bibliophiles in your life :).
TGIF, y’all! What are your plans for the weekend? I have come down with a bit of a head cold, which actually gives me the perfect excuse to read in bed all weekend long, guilt-free!
Sick day with a good book…never a bad thing 😉
I have several e-galleys on my Kindle that are coming out soon that I need to finish so I can review them for Netgalley. The one I’m most excited to dive into is The Wangs Vs. The World by Jade Chang. It’s Chang’s debut novel and Houghton Mifflen Harcourt has done an incredible ad campaign for this book; I’ve heard TONS of buzz among bloggers and Instagram accounts! It comes out on October 4, so I’ll let y’all know before then what I thought about the novel.
Anyway, to kick off our weekend right, I gathered a few links from around the Internet for y’all to enjoy and explore for travel, current events, and book news!
- Rick Steves Best and Worst of Europe – Came across this yesterday on the Rick Steves site. I’m quite a fan of Mr. Rick, and it was fun to hear his honest opinions on his favorite (and not so favorite) destinations. He also lets you know that his opinion changes a lot, so don’t worry if your favorite city is on his “worst” list! It’s all in good fun ;).
- The Skimm News emails : Making it easier to be smarter, FOR FREE. It’s a daily (Mon-Fri) email delivered to your inbox in the AM with a “highlights” version of all the major news stories from the past 24 hours. I read it every morning as soon as I wake up. They have giveaways for trips and monthly meet ups with other Skimmers!
Coffee and The Skimm, my AM dynamic duo
Now they even have a new Skimm Ahead app (app is free for the first month, the email is always free), which integrates with your calendar for fun stuff like when your favorite football team is playing or the latest season of “Stranger Things” is released on Netflix. I am such a huge fan that I have become a Skimmbassador ; if you sign up for The Skimm or their Skimm Ahead app using the link I posted above I am in the running for some cool Skimm gear, and once you become a Skimmer you could also earn them! It’s worth checking out!
- Litsy – Has anyone been using this new book app? I downloaded it on my phone a while ago but just started really getting into it (user name is mytablesofcontent if you wanna find me!). It’s a fun combination of Instagram and Goodreads – you write reviews or post quotes of the book you’re reading and can post pictures as well, and people can comment and like your blurbs. It’s addicting!
- AMAZING RAJASTHAN CITIES THAT WILL MAKE YOU FEEL ROYAL – I am obsessed with this travel blog, My Life’s A Movie. This is one of my favorite posts that she has done recently because, as y’all might know from a previous post, I’m traveling to India in November (!!). During my trip I’ll be visiting Rajasthan, and the prospect of spending the night in an actual palace sounds pretty dang appealing!!
5. 53 More Bookish Movies and TV Shows Streaming on Netflix – in case you’re not in a reading mood but still want to feel literary :).
What are your plans for the weekend – travels, reading, sleeping? Let me know in the comments below! Cheers, everyone! XO
Confession: in the past, my husband and I have scoffed at the idea of all-inclusive resorts. We love to travel, and to us, an all-inclusive seems to be at odds with our philosophy to explore and soak in as much culture as possible. Resorts seem to be the type of place where you sit around and do nothing for a week, or get pushed to pay for cheesy excursions that aren’t even fun. Both my husband and I are typically way too high energy and, frankly, too cynical for this style of vacation.
- We look innocent, but in reality we’re hyperactive 28-year-old brats
…That is, until this past summer hit us.