You know how some recipes claim to be simple, easy, low-mess, etc? But they inevitably end up being either
1)way more complicated than they first appear
2) require expensive ingredients that can only be found in specialty stores after hours of searching, or
3) easy to make, and cheap, but flavorless.
After these culinary disasters, I usually end up looking something like this:
HOWEVER. This Pesto Chicken recipe does NOT apply to the typical traps of a “basic” recipe. In all honesty, I wish I had come across this recipe a few years ago when I was first learning how to cook – it probably would have motivated me to learn a little quicker!
This recipe requires four basic ingredients that you can get for less than $15, an oven, and a baking sheet. I think you can manage. My one demand is that you make sure you buy quality pesto sauce. It need not be expensive, but since this is such a simple recipe, suffice it to say it’s important to have quality ingredients as they are all front-and-center. Otherwise, have at it!
Baked Pesto Chicken
serves 4, or leftovers for work the next day!
Prep time: five minutes, MAX
Cook Time: 25-30 minutes
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1-1 1/4 lb should suffice)
1/2 c. basil pesto
2-3 plum tomatoes, sliced
1/2 c. mozzarella cheese
What you do:
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Pre-heat oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium bowl, coat the chicken with the pesto generously.
- Place chicken on baking sheet, cook for 20-25 minutes until chicken is cooked through (no pink in the center, juices run clear).
- Remove the baking sheet, place tomatoes and cheese on top of chicken.
- Bake for an additional 3-5 minutes, once cheese is melted.
Serve immediately. The dish goes well with pasta and a side salad, or if you’re trying to limit carbs like my house, serve with brown rice and asparagus!
Bon Appetit, y’all!
Recipe courtesy of Food.
One thought on “Easy and Delicious Pesto Chicken. Seriously.”
Sounds easy and yummy! I’m going to give this one a try… 🙂