Happy Independence Day, everyone! Hope you plan on spending lots of time in the sun, soaking up some rays while you read! If you need some literary inspiration, here’s a few patriotic reads for you to check out:
For the History Buffs:
- 1776 by David Mccullough – really can’t get more appropriate than this one.
- Alexander Hamilton by Robert Chernow – Join the masses who have been obsessing over this founding father since the musical came out (myself included).
- John Adams by David McCullough – another great McCullough biography; in fact, one of my favorites so I had to include it on the list.
For the Trendy Reader:
- The Girls by Emma Cline – the book jacket is patriotic, and the story is the talk of all the literary blogs and book store reps. Focuses on female friendships amongst a group of women in a 1960’s Manson-like cult. Dark and fascinating.
- Modern Lovers by Emma Straub – Brooklyn hipsterdom at its finest. Another book that has been in ALLLLL the book Instagram’s for months.
For the Classic Reader
- The Sound and The Fury by William Faulkner – Southern American family at its most dysfunctional.
- The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain – one of my favorite authors and an American literary icon. Plus an easy read to have pool-side while still looking smart. Plus you’ll be giggling all afternoon as you sip on your margarita.